Never once in my 54 years have I ever once heard a gay or lesbian person who’s politically active say one thing about anything that was not about them. They don’t care about minimum wage, they don’t care about any other group other than their own self because you know, some people say being gay and lesbian is a totally narcissistic thing and sometimes I wonder.
I’ve never heard any of them say anything except for “accept me ‘cause I’m gay.”
It’s just, it’s screwed. It’s no different than the evangelicals, it’s the same mindset. They want you to accept Jesus and you guys want us to all believe it’s ok to be gay. And a lot of us, a lot of them, I do, I don’t give a damn who anybody has sex with, as long as they’re not underage and an animal. I don’t give a damn, it’s none of my damn business. I’m just sick of all the divisiveness, it’s not getting any of us anywhere.
Let's ignore the fact that lots of gay people (including virtually the entire leadership of gay groups like NGLTF and HRC) are in vigorous agreement with Ms. Barr's call for government, and not employer/employee agreement, to set wages.
Let's also ignore the fact that Ms. Barr would rather see people unemployed for being "priced too high" than employed in jobs that pay wages commensurate to the work they deliver.
Finally, let's ignore the transparent homophobia endemic in Ms. Barr's "some people say" statement, while noting that a similar statement about women, blacks, Jews or other groups would ignite a firestorm of controversy and have the (currently silent) Democratic candidates handing Ms. Barr a drubbing that would make Don Imus's public repudiation look merciful in comparison.
Your humble blogger has a few key questions here, and some musings about same:
1) If Ms. Barr -- a multimillionaire celebrity living in an expensive home in Southern California -- is so concerned about people not earning enough, why hasn't she donated a large amount of her own cash to people who "don't earn enough?" (It is probably because the wealthy Ms. Barr would rather keep her millions for herself and tax the middle and working classes to pay for her "generosity.")
2) Is Roseanne in any position to talk about narcissism? This is a woman who did everything in her power to attract attention to herself over the last two decades, and profited handsomely from it. (If Ms. Barr is in a position to criticize gays for narcissism, then Bill O'Reilly has the moral right to criticize blowhards, George W. Bush has the right to attack others for being inarticulate, and Karl Rove gets a green light to condemn others' machiavellian dishonesty).
3) If Ms. Barr has such contempt for gay people and their "divisive" insistence that they deserve completely equal treatment under the law (as the Constitution warrants), how likely is it that her views are unusual amongst straight liberal Democrats? (Highly unlikely).
4) How stupid do she and her fellow travelers think we are? (Incredibly stupid, because after every insult and attack on gay families, gay votes and campaign cash keep coming back to Ms. Barr's party and candidates).
5) What can we do to disabuse Barr and company of this notion? (Vote Libertarian).