Thursday, March 09, 2006

Poppin' Out All Over

Allow me to introduce myself. Not only am I a brand-newbie to this fine blog, but I am also a new convert to libertarianism. For most of my life, I was a typically-conformist liberal Democrat, though I did have my maverick moments. To name one example (or does it count as two?), I voted for Reagan twice. Although he was hardly a libertarian, I certainly think our Fortieth President did more than most of 'em have to make the world a freer place.

I guess I've been something of a "closet" libertarian for some time now. So out of the closet I pop, now -- politically as well as sexually. Whoooeee...I feel so FREE!

It's still pretty early, but thus far I have noticed something very strange. I meet with WAY more hostility outing myself as a libertarian than I ever have as a lesbian. And most of the guff I get for my frankness comes from others in "the community."

There are many, many reasons I am now switching to the Libertarian Party. In a nutshell, suffice it to say that though I still have some disagreements with the LP, it is by far the party in which I fit the best. In the days and weeks to come, as we explore issues and events together, I will further elaborate as to why.

My main reason, however, towers head and shoulders above all the others. I can say, without the slightest exaggeration, that if this country does not move in a libertarian direction -- and soon -- we will no longer have a country. Libertarians hope to rekindle the spirit of the American Revolution. As a Christian, I am not ashamed to say that the Founders of this noble experiement called the United States were inspired by God.

Those on the Right, especially a great many who call themselves Christians, frighten the hell out of me. They have torn a page from the playbook of the far Left, and they are determined to turn America into a totalitarian state. They say they are "at war against terrorism," but they are behaving exactly the way the militant Islamists must have hoped they would. I doubt it is very sound strategy to behave exactly the way our worst enemies want us to.

As the old song says, "Clowns to the Left of me...jokers to the Right." But I don't think I'm "stuck in the middle," and neither are you. Libertarianism represents our only real way out of the Nanny State-regulated, theocratic, thought-policing mess in which we find ourselves.

In Villahermosa, a city of about a half million not far from Mexico City, it is actually illegal to be naked inside your own house. This may have interesting ramifications, both in terms of birth-rate and body odor (not only must making whoopee present a challenge, but what do they do about showers?). Can there be any doubt that, once the Dobson/Robertson/Falwell crowd hears about that, they'll be inspired to carry the torch North of the Border?

Relax...I'm kidding. I hope.

Popping out of the closet may scare some folks, but it sure is fun.

Be subversive and strike a blow for the folks of Villahermosa. Practice a little random household nudity!